The Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the Privacy Act) govern the way in which we handle your personal information. The APPs set out how personal information may be collected, used and disclosed. Personal information includes information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable (personal information).
YOUniverse is committed to protecting your privacy. If you have any questions regarding this policy, please contact us via phone on + 61 3 9865 9900, email to [email protected], or by mail to Level 5, 5 Queens Road Melbourne VIC 3004 Australia.
When providing personal information you have the option of remaining anonymous or use a pseudonym to be identified by. However, in certain circumstances, such as where we receive your contact details from a third party or our clients or where the research data itself may potentially allow for identification, this may will not be practicable.
Collection of Personal Information
YOUniverse collects personal information about our customers, platform providers and users of the ‘YOUniverse Solution’, our cloud-based software which enables users to manage matters related to their employment or business needs (including recruitment, training, document management, rostering and communications) (the YOUniverse Solution). We only collect Personal Information that we reasonably require to do business with you or your employer, and to fulfil the technical requirements of delivering our services to you.
The personal information we will collect will usually be obtained from you directly. However, we may also collect your Personal Information which has been provided by a third party, including your employer.
We may collect the following types of Personal Information about you:
- contact information (such as your name, phone number, postal addresses and email address);
- identification information (such as your date of birth and gender);
- other information that you provide within the YOUniverse Solution which includes, but is not limited to:
- information in respect of your employment with your employer;
- information provided at the time of signing up to use the YOUniverse Solution;
- information you post on the YOUniverse Solution; and
- the way in which you utilise the YOUniverse Solution;
- a record of any correspondence or communications we have with you, for whatever purpose;
- details of your access to the YOUniverse Solution, including any communication data, the resources accessed, server address, computer IP addresses, domain name, date and time of visit and location data; and
- any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly or indirectly through the use of the YOUniverse Solution.
We may also collect some sensitive information about you, such as information about your membership of political association or trade union or criminal record. We will not collect any sensitive information about you which is disclosed to us by a third party, unless you provide us with your consent for us to do so.
Use and disclosure of personal information
We use your Personal Information to enable you to use the YOUniverse Solution, and to communicate with you in relation to our services. We may also use your Personal Information to monitor network use and performance, to develop and improve our services, and to ensure your use of the YOUniverse Solution meets your, or your employer’s, business’ needs.
In particular, YOUniverse may use or disclose your Personal Information to third parties (including your employer) for the following purposes:
- to provide the YOUnivese Solution to you;
- to personalise your use of the YOUniverse Solution and ensure that the YOUniverse Solution is provided in the most effective and efficient manner to you;
- to understand and improve how you use the YOUniverse Solution;
- to manage the YOUniverse Solution and provide you with relevant information in relation to your use of the YOUniverse Solution;
- to notify you about changes to the YOUniverse Solution; and
- as required or permitted by law.
Use of your personal information for marketing
We may also use your Personal Information to promote and market employment opportunities, products and services to you, including through electronic methods such as email and SMS. This is to keep you informed of employment opportunities and special offers and may continue after you cease to acquire products and services from us.
If you do not want us to promote employment opportunities, products, services and special offers to you, please let us know using the contact information below.
Storage and security of personal information
YOUniverse has hardware, software technology and internal processes in place to enable us to take all reasonable precautions for your Personal Information to be accurate, up-to-date and secure. Specifically, we use technical and organisational measures to protect against the misuse, loss or unauthorised disclosure of Personal Information.
We require our employees, contractors, or any third party service providers or suppliers who handle your Personal Information to comply with the Privacy Act, and will take appropriate action in response to any breaches of our obligations.
We use third-party cloud-hosted solutions to store and process Personal Information and de-identified data for analytics purposes. Some of the processing and storage is hosted overseas, specifically in the United States of America.
Your username and password
You are responsible for appropriately protecting your username and password for your YOUniverse Solution account. Your username and password must only be used by you, and only in connection with our services in respect of the YOUniverse Solution. You should not let anyone else know your YOUniverse Solution username or password.
Access to and correction of your personal information
The Privacy Act allows you to request access to, and seek correction of, your personal information held by YOUniverse, by using the contact details set out below.
Depending on the nature of your request, you may be asked to:
- complete the request in writing;
- verify your identify; and
- if the response involves extensive administration time or resources, to pay a fee. If this is the case we will advise the cost to you in advance, and you may limit your request accordingly.
If you inform us of any inaccuracies in your Personal Information, we will consider your recommendation to change or correct the information. We will let you know if and what changes we have made in response.
Privacy concerns or complaints
If you have any concerns or complaints about our handling of your Personal Information, please contact us using the contact details below. We will investigate your complaint and notify you of the outcome.
If you are not satisfied with the outcome, you may also lodge a complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC):
By phone: 1300 363 992
Via the OAIC’s website: http://www.oaic.gov.au.
- By phone: + 61 3 9865 9900
- By email: [email protected]
- By mail: Level 5, 5 Queens Road Melbourne VIC 3004 Australia
Updates to this policy